Psoriasis Causes, Symptoms, Treatments, AYUVEDA Remedies through panchakarma
Psoriasis is quite common disease affecting around 20% of the population although people with very mild symptom may not be aware they have it. Psoriasis can arise at any age of 20 − 60 years and for both genders.
Psoriasis occurs when immune system over reacts causing prolonged inflammation of skin. This condition is neither infectious (do not spread from person to person) nor does it affect their general health.
Psoriasis can be co−related to kitiba kusta as per ayurveda, caused by vitiation of vata and kapha doshas. The vitiated doshas affects the skin and blood tissue.
It takes 27 days for skin to replace itself with new matured skin cells. But the region of skin affected by psoriasis, skin replaces itself within 3−4days with plenty of immature skin cells forming thick psoriatic patches.
Ayurveda says: the vitiated vata dries the water element of skin and also initiates rapid growth of skin tissue. Vitiated kapha dosha causes itching on affected skin
1. hereditary − 60% is both parents affected.
2. Trauma − cuts, bruises, burns.
3. Environmental factor/climatic changes
4. Emotional stress
5. Fast foods − filly, spicy, sour food
6. Smoking, alcohol
7. Consuming opposite food (diary products)
8. Controlling natural urges − vomiting, urination, bowel
The symptoms vary from person to person:
- Raised red patches of skin topped with loose, dry, silvery scales called plaques appearing on face, elbow, and knees.
- If on soles and palms − called “plantar or palmer psoriases” when on friction causes cracks and bleeds.
- In advanced stages joint swelling and tenderness with pain is common − “psoriatic arthritis”
- Thickened pitied or ridged nails − “nail psoriasis”
- Scalp may also get affected − looks like dandruff with dry flakes and red areas of skin
Ayurvedic treatment primarily focuses on blood purifications and balancing the vitiated doshas.
- Shodhana chikitsa: (de−toxification treatment) called panchakarma
Takradhara is a classical external treatment which helps to cure the disease by reducing the stress and emotional imbalances.
- Shamana chikitsa: palliative treatment. Drugs − manjista, vidanga, bramhi, khadhira, kumari, guductti, harindra, chandhana etc., and drugs are used in many formulations.
- Rasayana chiliast − rejuvenating treatment which does not allow recurrence of the disease is followed by very strict diet regiment, lifestyle changes, and stress management.
Psoriasis though not effecting general health directly, but disturbs quality of life leading to depression, hypertension, congestive heart failure by effecting psychological factor.
- Self care in psoriasis:
- Do not prick / pod / scratch skin
- Reduce stress levels
- After bath or wash pat dry the skin
- Opt for cotton clothing’s.